Simon Spier, a former bursary student of the Friends, has recently published research into the early history of York School of Design. Established in 1842, the school was one of the first provincial branches of the Government School of Design which was set up with the aim of promoting British arts and industry. Key figures in the establishment of the York school were the locally-born artist William Etty and his friend and associate, the Scottish artist William Dyce. To find out more, click the button below. The article is reproduced by kind permission of the British Art Journal.
- In the Tropics by Patricia Ramsay 27 October 2023
- e-Bulletin no 8 22 September 2023
- William Etty talk 21 September 2023
- The Flagellation of Saint Barbara by Hans Siebenbürger 1 August 2023
- Captain Foote by Reynolds: an Indian Perspective 19 May 2023